Friday, May 08, 2015

Milestones

When folks my age had kids
Was Milestone Number One,
Yet doctors said for us
There simply would be none.

Instead we got a dog,
Her name was Bessie Mae,
She helped us both get through
Those baby-crazy days.

When kids of all our friends
Grew up and went to school,
In my mind I witnessed
Milestone Number Two.

I focused on our dog
And smiled at wags and barks,
Sent graduation gifts,
Watched other’s kids embark.

That’s Milestone Number Three,
At a decade and a half,
But for us it was the end
Of our dog-focused path.

As I viewed Facebook pics
Of teens dressed for prom,
I said goodbye to Bessie,
The one who made me “Mom.”

Those milestones with my Bessie,
Though they've come now to an end,
Might set the stage for more
So my broken heart can mend.

What will be those milestones?
Only God can ever know,
But I trust in God with faith
That through them I will grow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. That is a very nice, heartfelt poem. What a kind way to honor her and share your story.

Unknown said...

Thank you. We still miss her terribly! Today was our first big snow day without having to shovel a path for her in the yard. And she loved that fireplace on cold days.

Countdown to Elianna!